Monday, July 16, 2012

In Huaraz

So, right now I am in a city called Huaraz and it is really beautiful. There are white capped mountains surrounding the city. I had the most wonderful time in the town Tingo Maria. It was so absolutely beautiful. I met a man from France and we went on a hike together and walked into the selva, which is what they call the jungle and we spent almost all day walking around and exploring. Then we stopped to have a drink at this really cool little bar right next to the river and we had a beer and then the owner of the bar offered us some liquor that he makes out of coca leaves. It was great. We talked to him for a while and it was so magical. He was talking about friends that he has from all over t he world and friends that he has from France. Then we talked about what we do and the man from France whos name is Julian told him that he is a cardiologist and then the man who worked at the bar told us about his son who has problems with circulation and he brought out doctors paperwork to have Julian look at it. And the funny thing is, Julian doesnt speak and spanish, so I was doing some interpreting, for him, but he understand everything, just not talk. So, then he looked at this paperwork about the mans son and understood right away what the problem is. It was so crazy, the whole conversation and encounter. The conversation got kind of serious for a little bit. Julian told him he would need an operation. It was all so crazy and random and magical and beautiful. So I had a great day that day. The next day Julian left to go up north and hopefully ride a boat on the Amazon river which I originally wanted to do but didnt have enough time hahaha. I went and visited a waterfall. I took a rickshaw out to the path and walked up there and it was so beautiful. Then I walked down this long road back to the main road and it was so wonderful. Just me, walking down this gravel road, seeing people in their houses and outside. I walked by a house and saw a macaw parrot and walked up and asked them if i could look at their bird and there was a family just hanging out outside with their bird and dog and chickens and babies. They were very friendly. I wandered off onto a trail and it was so beautiful. Green trees, plants, flowers, butterflies. And when I came back, crossing the stream, a dog ran up and barked at me realy loudly and I stood still so as not to invoke anything and a girl ran up and chased the dog off so I could cross. I experienced nothing but goodness. Except in the bathrooms at the hostel I stayed at which smelled like bile. haha. I took a collectivo back to the city Huanuco so I could make my way to Huaraz. I stayed overnight in Huanuco and went out and got pollo a la brasa and it was delicious. Then the next day I went out to look for a bus to a city called La Union which is in transit to Huaraz. I got the bus station and the bus was going to leave in 10 minutes, so I ran back to my hostal and grabbed my things and ran back to the bus station and while I was running, my doll, Paz fell out of my backpack and someone told me and it was a miracle. I made it to the bus on time and laughed with the bus driver. Its amazing how I can communicate with people and laugh with them and understand when I feel like I cant speak that much spanish. Then I got to La Union and I took a shower and washed my clothes in the sink. While I was taking a shower, i reached up to wash my hair and got shocked from the shower head because it is attached the water heater. It was pretty funny and ridiculous. it scared me a little, but it was ok. Then I went to buy my bus ticket and the only one I could find left at 3 in the morning, so I bought it and then went back to the hostel and called big b and found out that frieda had got stuck in the neighbors garage and big b worked so hard and went around everywhere to try to find her and it warmed my heart. Then I went out to eat with a man I had chatted with on the bus and we had Chifa, which is like chinese food. Then I went back to the hostel and was just about to go to bed when the owner of the hostel offered me some drink for my gripe (cough). It was anis liquor. So I had a cup and he was teaching me some names of things in spanish and we were chatting and laughing and I drank a little bit too much, because the next thing I remember is stumbling to the bus stop and getting on the bus. haha, the situation was fine and I know that there is a magical protective force with me because I got black out drunk and caught a bus at 3 in the morninig, thanks to the owner of the hostel. The only sad thing is that I left my doll Paz at the hostel and that I peed in the bed, so I felt a little bad about who had to clean that up. I hadnt gotten so drunk in probably like almost 2 years haha. but I had a good time. The next day was really rough because i felt so worried because I dont remember the whole night. thats such a hard feeling, not knowing what happened. I comforted myself and realized that whatever happened, I wasnt raped or robbed so that was a miracle. But I remember how terrible I have felt in the past when I have blacked out. But im ok now. Also, I left a pair my pants at the hostal and had a different pair with me haha. It was a good reminder to be very cautious about drinking. im glad and blessed  that I have more power to handle my alcohol now than I used to when I was younger. But its amazing that I still caught my bus. And I didnt lose any of my necessary documents. I am still sad about Paz but I remember seeing young kids in the hostel, the grandkids of t he owners so Im sure Paz will have a good time with them. Anyhoo, now I am staying in a really nice hotel for only 15 soles per night which is like 6 dollars. Anyhow, yesterday I walked around and had diarheea I think from drinking so much. I met a man from Ireland and chatted with him and got a good hike recommendation and then met a guy from London and walked around with him and chatted and then I ate some Chifa after trying to find a ceviche restaurant and realizing that they are only open during lunchtime. Then I went back to my hostal and sat up on top of the hostal and took so many pictures of the city because it is so beautiful, in a different way than Tingo Maria jungle town. Then I put on my pajamas and organized and cleaned all my stuff and my bags and read my book called the mermaid chair. its pretty cool but I liked the other books I read more. Then I heard fireworks and I ran upstairs to the top of the hostal and saw a couple beautiful fireworks!!!!!!!! Then I ended up chatting with the coolest couple of people, one guy from Belgium and a lady from Argentina and they were travelling together and I got to hear some great stories and tell some of my stories. this trip has been so wonderful for me and reminding me that I am awesome and I dont need to worry or change things about myself and I can be so happy and laid back and have all sorts of adventures the way I want to and I dont need to feel bad about myself for any reason. Today, I am going to mail a postcard and buy some gifts and relax and book a wonderful hike for tomorrow. Oh and buy my bus ticket for wednesday!!!!! Im excited for my next trip. i want to go to turkey, europe or india. My friend from france told me I have to go to India. anyway, thanks to everyone for reading myblog. This blog was a great idea and I have enjoyed writing it and Its a new way of journaling and I love writing. Anyone can travel. I am still afraid to sleep without a nightlight. I brought a nightlight with me and ive slept with it everywhere. Im still afraid of swimming with fish. I went swimming in Tingo Maria and  wouldnt get in until I saw other people get in and even then it was hard. I want everyone whos read this and women especially to know that travelling is not as scary as people tell you. I heard some of the most ridiculous and uninformed things about travelling before I went on this trip and only the things from the 2 ladies who have actually been to south america turned out to be true and they both said it was wonderful.

also, money is just money. Im so excited to read my sark book that I ordered here so it would be waiting for me! She reminds me not to worry and to listen to yourself all the time and not get down on yourself and that dreams are ppossible in whatever shape they take.

love
Josie

2 comments:

  1. Just like you Jos, healing hearts any way you can — literally this time, translating for that cardiologist.

    I love how you describe walking down that long gravel road seeing people in their houses and the green trees, plants, flowers, butterflies, birds, chickens, and dogs — more encounters with dogs. And of course, the people you meet from all over the world.

    Glad you enjoy writing this blog and sharing your adventures with us back home. You're so open and honest here.

    You miss Paz, but she is now warming some child's heart in Peru.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness Josie, your honesty and descriptions are captivating. I am proud of your spirit, courage, and insight. I love you and miss you. Mum

    ReplyDelete