Thursday, June 14, 2012

Here in Cusco!!

Oh my gosh! So, yesterday, we flew into Cusco, which is probably the most popular tourist pueblo (city) in Peru porque (because) it is close to the most popular tourist attractions like Machu Picchu and other cool ancient ruins made by the Incas. This city is wonderful! Yesterday we went to a site of ancient ruins called Saqsayhuaman which when pronounced sounds a lot like sexywoman! haha! That was really neat. We visited multiple ancient ruins sites and got a great look at the city from on top of a hill. Then we ate at a little cafe. I had roasted vegetables with rice. The vegetables were delicious. Yo no se (I don´t know) what spices were all on them. Last night, my roommate traveling buddy, Karla, and I went and walked around Cusco and honestly I had way more fun doing that than I´d had all day! We walked through their market which is filled with people selling all sorts of fruits and vegetables and hot food and bamboo, dates, avocadoes, oranges, melon, roasted guinea pig (cuy), which is whole. It is a sight to see. It only has had its skin removed, the rest of the body including face, teeth, legs and paws are completely in tact. Yesterday, I bought a giant mango which I have yet to eat, an avocado and a bunch of small bananas. We also went into the grocery store which was very exciting. There is so much going on here. Dogs run the streets and all over in the markets. Today I bought a piece of beef jerky to give to a dog who was limping and he didn´t even want it! Ha! The dogs here all look healthy and so happy. The streets in this city are cobblestone and quite narrow. There are not really specific lanes, people drive how they want to. It is a beautiful amazing chaotic sight to see. Yesterday when we were crossing the streets which are always busy and people crossing and cars turning and looking like they are about to hit each other and dogs walking in the streets, we stood next to the locals to learn how they go about crossing and tonight I was totally into it and loved walking around the streets. Also, yesterday, we walked down to the main plaza where they is a beautiful park with benches and a water fountain and flags and across the street there is a gigantic beautiful old stone cathedral and up on the platform next to the cathedral, there were probably 50 or more young people all dancing and swinging pieces of fabric and singing all in sync with each other. It was sooo cool. This city is so beautiful. There is so much old architecture, old stone cathedrals, stone streets, stone arches all over and so many people everywhere. So much noise. It is soo cool. No one gets run over, the dogs don´t get run over, it is beautiful human chaos! I will try to upload some pictures. Actually I just spent the last twenty minutes talking to a young man who works here at the hostel. I love practicing spanish here!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I love the way you describe the city. I feel like I'm there: "It is a beautiful amazing chaotic sight to see."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful human chaos! What an adventure you are having, Josie. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us! Your words give me goosebumps. I am SO happy for you.

    ReplyDelete