Wednesday, June 20, 2012

In Arequipa!

Holy Moly! So, the last few nights we have stayed with families in their homes in small villages east of Cusco, in the drier, colder part of Peru. It was a wonderful experience. Everyone in the group stayed with a family with their roommate, so it was 2 people per household. These ladies spoke no english and so it made for an interesting and wonderful experience. It got so cold at night but our beds had 4 blankets, some of which were very thick so only our faces got cold. I would like to put some pictures up on here. I loved practicing spanish at these houses. When I am not around my spanish teacher and our guide who is a native, I realize that I really do know a decent amount of spanish. I was able to communicate with the ladies enough to learn some of their history and communicate about daily activities and food and a few other things. I was also translating or I guess interpreting for the lady I stayed with which made me feel super smart. We got to try a lot of local foods from the highlands and some I really liked. We tried dehydrated potatoes which I do not like haha. Today, we went to a buffet for our lunch and I tried a piece of fried Cuy (which is guinea pig!) It was really good but I don´t think I would eat it again. We just arrived at our hotel in Arequipa and I got a little nervous thinking about being alone in a big city like this. Coming in from the outskirts it was really poor and ghetto, but inside the city, it looks different and in a few minutes, we are all going to walk around, so I will find out! I have been eating lots of avocadoes and bread to save on money, but it has been delicious! I have not spent that much money being here. I prefer to go to the market and buy fruits and veggies and bread and cheese than to go out to eat. Gotta go, my free time almost begins and then I will probably put some pictures up!

Love,
Josie

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the updates. Reading about your daily experiences in Peru is almost like being there for those of us back home following you. Hope you have fun walking around Arequipa.

    ReplyDelete