Monday, June 25, 2012

In the internet Cafe

Right now I am using an internet cafe, I think it would be called. It is not really a cafe, but line of computers inside a nice alleyway. I was looking up volunteering here in Arequipa. I woke up feeling really kooky this morning. I do get kooky when I´m not working or doing any planned activities for an extended period of time. It´s cool because this traveling is a real experience. Before I left, I remember thinking and feeling like when I got here I would be happy all the time and change the things that I don´t like about myself because it´s such a new experience and everyone is cooler when they travel to a foreign country. Haha. And while that may be true, hahaha, I´m still completely me. I don´t think I can ever completely get away from feeling kooky, and that´s probably a good thing. I stayed in a cool, little hostal last night and I felt so much more comfortable there than I did at the hotel. The hostal is right downtown, right next to the plaza, but it´s very quiet. I wasn´t scared even though it was quieter and I felt like there weren´t as many people around. This city is a really cool city, with lots going on and the plaza is so beautiful. I´m going to go check out a volunteer opportunity, because I think I would enjoy that. Last night, I wrote some postcards and today I´m going to mail them. I have to get more stamps. The stamps for postcards here are 6 soles, which is about 2 dollars. That is one of the only things that is a lot more expensive than in the U.S. Last night, I sat in the plaza for a while and wrote in my journal and fed the doves. There are so many people and birds in the plaza. People of all ages and children and people walking around with boxes of treats tied around their bodies, offering to sell them to you. There is a giant fountain in the middle of all of it and surrounding the plaza, there are long, stone-column 2 story buildings and on one side, a giant cathedral. There are so many cathedrals and churches and monasteries in this city. Entire blocks are made of giant stone. It is really beautiful and it makes me think of what some parts of Europe look like. Its also a little bit sad, because it all came from Spain when they colonized this country. One of the native languages of Peru is Quechua. I think it was like a language of the Inkas, the native people of Peru. From what I know, their religion was in my opinion, more beautiful than catholicism. They believed in worshipping the Pacha Mama, which is Quechua means Mother Earth. The only reason why everyone speaks spanish is because the Spaniards came. Anyway, the cathedrals are still really beautiful and I have a special appreciation for Christianity. Last night I went and got some hot chocolate and by god was it good. Today I´m going to go look for a hostal where I can use a kitchen, so I can prepare meals and maybe then I can make my own hot chocolate for much, much less. I have been writing a lot and that has been really nice. I started reading a book called "The Art of Racing in the Rain," last night and it´s told from the perspective of a dog. I might try to go to Lake Titicaca, which is not too far from here. Back, like 3 or 4 months ago, when I first started planning this trip, I had a dream that someone told me that the people of Lake Titicaca are some of the most magical people in the world. I don´t have many dreams like that, so I feel like it was very special. I´ll see! I wish I had brought Emmanuel or Sark books haha. Anyhoos, off to check out the opportunities.

Love
Josie

1 comment:

  1. Jos, sorry to hear you're feeling kooky sometimes. Your writings in here are so honest and open, and I'm sure writing things down helps -- even if it's in an alley full of computers. Maybe you are supposed to go to Titacaca. Dad

    ReplyDelete